Monday, January 10, 2005

Mississippi gets in on the fun

Not content to let Alabama have all the book-burning, book-banning fun, Mississippi staked its claim to asstard status today when two public librarians went on record saying that Jon Stewart's America should be banned.

"I've been a librarian for 40 years and this is the only book I've objected to so strongly that I wouldn't allow it to circulate," said Robert Willits, director of the Jackson-George Regional Library System of eight libraries in Jackson and George counties.


The objection seems to be to the cut-out figures of the nine Supreme Court justices. Apparently, the idea that Antonin Scalia could be naked under that robe was too sickening to contemplate. (okay. That's an image I am going to try to scrub out of my brain pronto. Eww.)

Back in October, Jo and I tried to organize an airlift of vibrators to residents of the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals' jurisdiction. At the time, Toys in Babeland declined to participate in our plans. I still have dreams of getting arrested on the state border with a trunk full of dildoes--now I'll have to make sure I've got plenty of copies of America with me. In fact, maybe I could talk Jon Stewart into riding shotgun with us.

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

Hey, if you get to mailing out free vibrators, ship me one too. They seem kind of expensive in the stores here.

lorraine said...

I think you're in the 8th district, Sheryl. Which gives you your own set of problems--namely a circuit court that regularly gets into fights with the Supreme Court over the ethics of the death penalty.

As to the vibrators, well it depends on what you're going for. The small ones seem to work much better than the big ones. Or so I've heard. :)

Sheryl said...

Thanks, Lorraine. I'll keep that in mind. :)