Monday, January 24, 2005

Campus Nazis

Today, I was on my way out to lunch with a colleague. As we approached the outside door, he said, "Is that a swastika?"
Someone had stickered the building door with a bright red sticker with hate speech and a big swastika. It looked like a bloody wound. It made me ill. I removed it from the door, walked immediately to the university president's office, handed it in. There was a police report filed.
My humanity feels assaulted. I feel icky. I struggle with wanting to throw up, knowing that someone felt bold enough to post that. The day's significance is not lost. Today is the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. The hate speech was directed at African Americans, but it doesn't really matter. I'm a white woman and I felt as if it was directed at me. Because it was.
The coward who posted the swastika didn't have the guts to sign his or her name to the handiwork. Cockroaches always retreat back to the dark.

2 comments:

1138 said...

They retreat into the darkness until the environment becomes favorible enough for them to emerge as they did on Kristallnacht, November 9th 1938 after which they stay out 24 hours a day.
We are growing closer to that environment daily with the assault on all opposition and the emphasis on corruption, ridicule and monoculturization of the press.
The party approved sources(Fox) are to be held as the only acceptable sources of information, all others are controlled by the 'liberals'/communists/islamofacist lovers.

I say this stuff, and people accuse me of being a tinfoil hatter or a negativist.
But all I'm doing is applying the historical model of the rise of the Nazi's, the Communists and others from history. America is not so unique that it is immune to the same scum that swallows light and hope in other parts of the world.

Sheryl said...

Oh, and you will probably be attacked for denying them their "free speech."