Sunday, March 13, 2005

The children of authors

My friend, Karen Novak, who writes remarkable books about difficult subjects, referred me to this article about being a writer and having our children read what we write. Even as fiction writers, we're aware that what we're writing is not "us," but it's amazing how many people will read a manuscript or a book and start trying to identify the parts of the novel that are autobiographical.

Imagine, though, having your child read what you've written. In my manuscript, there is graphic sex and the wrestling with the power of the erotic, a discussion of politics, my character's non-belief in God and her incredibly blasphemous denunciations. I don't have a problem with any of it. All of these subjects have been discussed with my older daughter, so I don't think any of it would come as a surprise. I'm not so sure what the neighbors may think. But then again, if I don't get the novel finished, no one will ever know.

So I guess this means I'm going back to work.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Congratulations on a productive sabatical!

This article you referenced is very timely... I'll be reading it as soon as I catch up on all my blogging friends' blogs!